When you forward a resume, be sure to submit a cover letter as well, unless you are specifically asked not to. A well-written cover letter will tell the recipient what job you are applying for and provide a quick summary of what knowledge and skills you bring to the position. It also serves as a writing sample, so be sure to be clear and concise, proofread for proper grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Is no more than one page and typed neatly on good quality paper
- Is addressed to a specific person, if you don’t have a specific name use ‘Dear Hiring Manager’, ‘Dear Recruiter’ or Dear hiring Manager’ to open the letter
- States how you heard about the position
- Is tailored to a specific position in a specific organization, discussing how your qualification match the job requirements
- Demonstrates your knowledge of the job