- Applications Software Developers
- Information Technology
- Software developers are the creative minds behind computer programs. They develop applications that allow people to do specific tasks when using technology tools.
What do they typically do
- Analyze users' needs and then design, test, and develop software to meet those needs
- Collaborate with other computer specialists to create the best possible software
- Design each part of the application and plan how the pieces will work together
- Change existing software to correct errors, adapt it to new hardware , or improve performance.
- Consult with customers about software system design and maintenance
- Document every aspect of the application as background for future maintenance and upgrades
- Determine system performance standards
- Research and evaluate factors like required reporting formats, costs, and security needs to decide how to configure hardware
Number of Jobs
Education & Training
- Education Most require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.Associated Programs or MajorsLicense
First StepFind out where to start your new journey.Get started
Next StepFind out what's next in line on your career journey.Get started
Video provided CareerOneStop. CareerOneStop is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labour, Employment and Training Administration and the Minnesota Department of Employment & Economic Development.